Veteran Benefits

The Registrar's Office will assist veterans who are eligible for federal education benefits by facilitating the process of applying for the federal education benefits and by maintaining proper liaison with the Veteran Administration (VA). Students who are eligible for Veteran Benefits are responsible for paying fees directly to the College and meeting payment deadlines applicable to all students. Payment of Veteran Benefits normally begins 30 to 45 days after the College certifies the student's enrollment for the semester. Students may apply for financial aid to cover their tuition and fees, if eligible.

Attendance is strictly enforced for students receiving Veteran Benefits. Upon being absent from a class three consecutive weeks in a fall or spring semester, two consecutive weeks in a full session summer semester, or one week in a half session summer semester, the College is responsible for reporting the student to the VA. Failure to attend classes on a regular basis will result in reduction or loss of benefits for the semester. Students receiving Veteran Benefits who withdraw from the College or reduce academic course loads are required by the Veterans Administration to report such action promptly to the Certifying Official in the Registrar's Office.

For more information about financial assistance for veterans visit or for information as it relates to Gordon State College please see our Veterans Information Sheet (pdf).

How to Apply If You Are A:

Veteran, Serviceperson, or Selected Reserve

  • Chapter 30: Montgomery GI-Bill
  • Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation (VONAPP Form 28-1900)
  • Chapter 33: Post 9/11 (Including Transfer of Post 9/11 GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents)
  • Chapter 1606: Selected Reserves
  • Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program

Please submit the following to the VA Certifying Official at Gordon State College

  1. VONAPP Form 2-1990(Veterans Online Application) or a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility.PLEASE NOTE: If you are a transfer student and have used your VA benefits at another institution please submit VA form 22-1995(pdf) in the place of form 22-1990.
  2. Veteran Benefit Form (pdf)
  3. DD214 Member 4 Copy (if applicable)
  4. Notice of Basic Eligibility/NOBE (if applicable)
  5. Kicker Contract (if applicable)
  6. Buy-Up (if applicable)

Dependent or Spouse of Veteran

Chapter 35

Please submit the following:

  1. VONAPP form 22-5490 (Veterans Online Application) or a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility. PLEASE NOTE: If you are a transfer student and have used your Survivors/Dependents' benefits at another institution please submit VA form 22-5495(pdf) in the place of form 22-5490.
  2. Veteran Benefit Form (pdf) - Please be sure to include the veterans social security number or VA file # on this form as well as the Veteran's full name.

Transient VA Student

Please submit the following:

  1. Veteran Benefit Form (pdf)
  2. Transient Permission Form (pdf) - Please obtain a certified copy from your home are required to submit this document to the enrollment office and a copy to your VA certifying official each semester you attend.

Please direct any payment inquiries to the Department of Veteran Affairs at (888) 442-4551 or visit them on the web at

Additional Veteran Resources are available at: