Non-Traditional Students

You are considered a non-traditional student if you meet the following criteria:

  1. Graduated from high school at least five years from the beginning of the semester for which you are applying, or have been part of a high school class that would have graduated at least five years from the beginning of the semester for which you are applying;
  2. Have earned a high school diploma from an accredited or approved high school, or a GED, HiSET or TASC high school equivelancy credential;
  3. Earned fewer than 30 transferable semester credit hours; and
  4. Have not attended college within five years of the beginning of the semester for which you are applying, or you must be in good standing at the last college attended, if admitted to that college as a non-traditional student.

Admissions Requirements

If you have taken the SAT or ACT, you may submit your scores. 

Required Documents

  1. Completed application(below), and $30 fee
  2. Official transcripts from any previous institutions
  3. Official High school transcript and/or GED score sheet
  4. Immunization Records
  5. Proof of Lawful U.S. Presence

Online Application       Download Application


Other types of Non-Traditional Students include:

Adult Learner Program

Adult Learners are required to meet the same Admissions requirements as a non-traditional student.

 An adult learner may possess any of the following three characteristics at the time of his or her enrollment:

  • 25+ Years old
  • 20-24 years old with fewer than 30 credit hours completed
  • 5 years since high school completion

Check out this list of resources for information to help you succeed.

If you have questions, concerns or suggestions about the Adult Learner Program, contact Dr. Ric Calhoun, or Ashley Travis, You may also visit the Community Education Building located at 301 Spencer Street on the Gordon State College Campus.

Senior Adults 62 Years of Age or Older

Gordon State College values the experiences and insight of our senior adults.  In an effort to promote life-long learning and intergenerational dialogue, GSC is pleased to offer senior adults to opportunity to attend without payment of tuition.  Senior adults wishing to take advantage of this opportunity must meet the following criteria and conditions:

  • Applicants must be legal residents of Georgia, be 62 years of age or older at the time of registration and present a birth certificate or other comparable written documentation of age
  • Admitted students may enroll as regular students in courses offered for credit on a space available basis following the drop/add period without payment of tuition, except for supplies, laboratory fees, parking, and certain other technology and related fees
  • Applicants must meet all other University System and institutional admissions requirements


You are considered an auditor when you who wish to enroll in courses, but not receive any college credit toward degree requirements for the course work attempted.

Required Documents
  • Completed application, and $30 fee
  • Official transcripts from any previous institutions
  • Official High school transcript and/or GED/HiSET/TASC score sheet
  • Immunization records
  • Proof of Lawful U.S. Presence
Auditors must pay all regular fees for enrollment, and may not transfer from audit to credit-seeking status, without satisfying the admissions requirements for credit status, either as a beginning freshman or a transfer student.

Students who receive an audit grade may not convert it to a credit grade, nor may a credit grade be transferred to an audit grade.

GED, HiSET and TASC Students

Non-traditional freshmen who do have a high school diploma may present a state-issued high school equivalency certificate or diploma earned through the successful completion of a high school equivalency test approved by the USG Board of Regents. The following high school equivalency tests are approved:

  • GED
  • HiSET
  • TASC
Required Documents
Students who posess an approved high school equivelancy credentials should provide the following items in order to be considered for admission:
  • Completed application, and $30 fee
  • Official GED, HiSET or TASC scores
  • Official High school transcript, if available
  • Immunization Records
  • Proof of Lawful U.S. Presence

Non-Degree Seeking Students

If you do not have a baccalaureate degree, you may apply as non-degree seeking student for a maximum of 18 semester credit hours, including institutional credit.

Required Documents
  • Completed application, and $30 fee
  • Immunization Records
  • Official High School and/or College Transcripts

Re-admit/Former Returning Students

If you  have not attended Gordon State College for one or more semesters (excluding summer semester), you must submit an application for re-admission to the Registrar's Office at least twenty (20) days prior to the beginning of the semester for which you are seeking re-admission. 

If you are applying for re-admission, and have attended other colleges and/or universities since your most recent enrollment at Gordon State College, you must submit an official transcript from each college or university you attended to the Registrar's Office in order for a re-admission decision to be made.

Required Documents
  • Completed application (can be obtained in person at the Registrar's Office)
  • Official Transcripts from any previous institution (when applicable)


To qualify for re-admission, a former student must be eligible to return to the most recent college or university attended or have approval from the Gordon State College Admissions Committee. If approved by the Admissions Committee, students re-admitted to Gordon State College after having been placed on academic suspension, probation, etc., by their former institution shall enter on academic probation.