Credit for Prior Learning (CPL)

Some non-traditional and adult learner students will have acquired college-level knowledge and insight through work experiences or through educational experiences and courses that did not carry college credit. The process of validating these experiences and assigning college credit to them is called Credit for Prior Learning (CPL). At Gordon State College a student can seek Credit for Prior Learning by using national examinations, by examination connected to specific Gordon courses, by assigning of credit for formal courses and tests connected to the workplace and validated by the American Council on Education (ACE), and by portfolio evaluation. If a student seeks Credit for Prior Learning, he or she should discuss it with their advisor or the Innovative Education office at 678-359-5128.

National Examinations

By far the most frequently used mechanisms for CPL at Gordon are national examinations such as CLEP tests (College Level Examination Program), AP Tests (Advanced Placement Tests) and DANTES tests (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support). Through these testing services, there are tests that provide credit for most courses in Areas A-E of the Core Curriculum; for many courses in various Area F's of the Core Curriculum, and some upper-level courses. For information on these tests, refer to the Gordon State College Testing Center.

New! CLEP Funding for MyCAA-Eligible Spouses:

Eligible military spouses participating in My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) can take CLEP exams at no cost, thanks to funding from MyCAA through contracts with DANTES and College Board.

To receive funding, MyCAA-eligible spouses must select Yes when asked if they’re eligible for DANTES funding during CLEP exam registration. Then, they should select MyCAA approved and enter their MyCAA ID number and FA number when prompted.

Departmental Examinations

As mentioned above, there are national examinations that can yield credit for most 1000 and 2000 level courses. However, if there is a course at any level for which there is no such test, sometimes credit can be given on the basis of examination developed on the Gordon campus. A currently enrolled student who can present satisfactory evidence that he or she is qualified in a particular subject may petition to take a departmental examination in that subject. Satisfactory evidence may be but is not limited to work experience, non-credit courses, course work at non-accredited institutions, or military courses. However, campus-based exams will not be permitted for courses for which the student has previously taken an examination for credit or was previously enrolled at Gordon State College.

Portfolio Evaluation

If a student has had college-level learning experiences that cannot be evaluated using the aforementioned mechanisms, he or she may wish to consider portfolio evaluation. Under the guidance of a faculty speacialist, the student may sign up for an independent study under their direct supervision. In that course the student would be guided as she or he prepares appropriate documentation to substantiate a request for credit. These materials would then be reviewed by a disciplinary expert.

departmental CPL request form

Courses, Examinations, and Experiences Validated by ACE

In some cases formal courses and examinations that take place outside of traditional degree programs have been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) and recommended for credit. Veteran non-trad's are a great candidate for ACE credit through their military training. If a student can provide evidence of such experiences to the Adult Learning Coordinator, GSC will assemble a team of faculty evaluators to look at the course or examination and make recommendations relative to college credit.

For Military Joint Service Transcripts (JST) for ACE review click HERE

For additional information on CPL Evaluation refer to the GSC CPL Student Handbook.