Hazardous Materials

Hazardous chemicals are utilized on campus in limited quantities and locations. Common carriers and contractors that travel in the vicinity however, may be transporting hazardous chemicals or materials. These chemicals could threaten the environment in the event of a spill. The following steps will be taken in the event of a chemical, biological, or radiation release.

Chemical, Biological, or Radiation Release

  1. The spillage of any hazardous chemical or material will immediately be reported to the Department of Public Safety by calling 678-359-5111 or 5111 on campus.
  2. When making a report, be specific about the material involved and the approximate quantities. Public Safety will initiate the response of the appropriate authorities and resources to effectively address cleanup.
  3. The building coordinator, department supervisor, or key person on site should vacate the affected areas at once and seal them off to prevent further contamination of other areas. At no time should anyone re-enter an area that has already been evacuated. Wait for the arrival of public safety personnel and if contaminated do not approach others.
  4. If building evacuation is required, the building coordinator, departmental supervisor, or key person on site should activate the building alarm and follow standard evacuation routes that do not cross the area where the release is located.