Types of Aid

There are five different groups of aid offered at Gordon State College. Click on the tabs below to explore all the options available to eligible students.


A loan is money borrowed from a commercial lender, a governmental agency, or a postsecondary school that must be repaid, which includes the amount borrowed plus interest,  a service-cancelable loan will not have to be repaid.  Be smart and borrow only what is needed for your educational expenses.

Federal Loans

Gordon State College participates in the Federal Stafford Loan program which allows students who are enrolled half time or more (6 or more semester hours) to borrow money for educational expenses. Your eligibility will be reviewed for Federal Stafford Loan when you complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).  Should a student drop below 6 hours during the enrollment period, the lender is notified and all remaining loan funds are canceled, when appropriate.

Every student who has a complete FAFSA will be offered a loan and will receive instructions on how to accept or deny the loan.

Federal Subsidized Loan

Subsidized means repayment on the borrowed amount (principle) is deferred and the interest on the loan is paid by the federal government while you are enrolled in school.

Federal Unsubsidized Loan

Unsubsidized means repayment on the borrowed amount (principle) is deferred while you are enrolled at least half time but you are responsible for paying the interest on the loan while you are in school; however, you can elect to postpone (capitalize) the interest payments while in school and the accrued interest will be added to your loan debt.

Federal Parent PLUS Loan

The parent PLUS loan is a loan for parents of dependent undergraduate students. Parents with a good credit history may receive PLUS loans. PLUS loan eligibility is not based on financial need, so these loans are made regardless of income level. PLUS repayment starts within 60 days after all loan funds are disbursed. Parents may use a PLUS loan to borrow the entire cost of attendance minus any other financial aid their child receives. The interest rate is variable, subject to change every July, but has a cap set by the government.

Scholarships and Grants



  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
  • HOPE GED Voucher

Federal Pell Grant

Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program and cannot have already earned a bachelors degree. The Federal Pell Grant Scheduled Award is determined by the Cost of Attendance (COA) and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as calculated by the U.S. Department of Education through the financial aid application Process. Awards for part-time students (enrolled in fewer than 12 credit hours) are prorated based on the students' enrollment status. Your enrollment status for Pell Grant purposes is determined by the number of credit hours in which you are enrolled as of the end of the scheduled Drop/Add period for the term or the date you completed the Application Process, which ever is later:

  • If you are enrolled full time (twelve or more credit hours), you receive your full eligibility for the term.
  • If you are enrolled nine to eleven credit hours, you receive three-fourths of your eligibility for the term.
  • If you are enrolled six to eight credit hours, you receive one-half of your eligibility for the term.
  • If you are enrolled in fewer than six credit hours, you receive one-fourth of your eligibility for the term.
  • A student cannot receive a Federal Pell Grant from more than one school for the same period of time.
  • The Financial Aid Office must have received your electronic Student Aid Report (SAR) from the U.S. Dept. of Ed. with a Pell eligible EFC before the end of your last term of attendance for the financial aid award year in order for you to be considered for the Federal Pell Grant.

A student may be eligible for PELL in the summer semester depending on their progress. Please check with the Financial Aid Office regarding eligibility.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) are awarded to undergraduate students. Eligibility is based on Established Financial Need, and funding is limited to students with full Federal Pell Grant eligibility. FSEOG is awarded subject to the Priority Consideration Deadline.

HOPE GED Voucher

The HOPE GED voucher is awarded to eligible students as a one-time $500 award. Students receiving this award will not be eligible for the HOPE scholarship until the 30 semester hour checkpoint is reached, and the student must have a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (gpa) at that time to receive HOPE.

Federal Work Study

What is Federal Work Study?

The Federal Work Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to each student's course of study.

How much will I make?

You'll earn at least the current federal minimum wage, but the amount might be higher. Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and the funding level of your school.

Are Federal Work-Study jobs on campus or off campus?

Both. If you work on campus, you'll usually work in a job that is related to your course of study. If you work off campus, your employer will usually be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest.

Can I work as many hours as I want?

No. The amount you earn can't exceed your total Federal Work-Study award. When assigning work hours, your supervisor will consider your class schedule and your academic progress. No student can work more than 19 hours per week at Gordon State College.


Veteran Benefits

The Registrar's Office will assist veterans who are eligible for federal education benefits by facilitating the process of applying for the federal education benefits and by maintaining proper liaison with the Veteran Administration (VA).

Students who are eligible for Veteran Benefits are responsible for paying fees directly to the College and meeting payment deadlines applicable to all students. Payment of Veteran Benefits normally begins 30 to 45 days after the College certifies the student's enrollment for the semester.

Attendance is strictly enforced for students receiving Veteran Benefits. Upon being absent from a class three consecutive weeks in a fall or spring semester, two consecutive weeks in a full session summer semester, or one week in a half session summer semester, the College is responsible for reporting the student to the VA. Failure to attend classes on a regular basis will result in reduction or loss of benefits for the semester.

Students receiving Veteran Benefits who withdraw from the College or reduce academic course loads are required by the Veterans Administration to report such action promptly to the Certifying Official in the Registrar's Office.

All questions and concerns involving Veteran Benefits should be directed to the VA Certifying Official in the Registrar's Office.

For more information about financial assistance for veterans visit the G. I. Bill website.

For further assistance with your Veteran Benefits, please contact the Registrar's Office at registrar@gordonstate.edu or (678) 359-5022

Got A Question? Ask Gordy!

Virtual Advisor