Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to do to connect my computer to the Internet from a campus residence hall?

Gordon State College offers internet access to students living in our residence halls. To configure your computer for internet access read over the Residence Hall Internet Connection Instructions on the Information Technology website.

What can I bring for the room?

A resident can bring personal items such as a pillow, towels, washcloths, iron, linens, microwave, computer, TV, refrigerator (3.0 cubic ft), video games, lock box or trunk for personal items, etc. Closed lid toaster ovens, George Foreman grills, rice cookers, crock pots, coffee makers are allowed but residents must be especially responsible in turning off and unplugging the items when they are not in use.

What can I NOT bring?

No open coil/element or appliances such as hot plates, skillets/griddles, or deep fryers (using oil) are permitted in the residence halls.

What furniture/amenities are supplied in the room?

Twin bed (3/4 extra long), desk, and chair is supplied for each resident. Some rooms have built-in closets while others have wardrobe closets and chests. All rooms have cable and internet. Sinks are available in most rooms.

Where are the bathrooms/showers located?

For traditional residence hall (Melton), all bathrooms are located on the hallways for use by the hallway residents.. In the Commons' and Village, bathrooms (toilets/showers/sinks) are located within the units for use by the assigned residents.

Do I have to pack up my room in between Fall and Spring semesters?

If residents plan to return for the upcoming semester wherein they have notified the Office of Residence Life, they are allowed to leave the contents of their room and may return to the room on the days designated to begin the next semester's stay. Commons' and Village units are assigned on an academic year basis.

What are the visitation hours for residents?

A guest is considered to be any visitor, male or female, who is not an assigned resident of that particular residence hall room. Two (2) escorted guests per resident student are allowed in the residence halls, under the following guidelines:

  1. Guests (male and female) are only allowed during the following times:
    • Residence Hall Rooms: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 a.m. Sunday-Thursday
    • Residence Hall Lobbies: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 a.m.Sunday-Thursday
    • Residence Hall Rooms: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 a.m. Friday-Saturday
    • Residence Hall Lobbies: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 a.m. Friday-Saturday
  2. All guests, especially those of the opposite sex, must be signed in at the desk and/or with the RA on Duty before entering any residence hall room.
  3. Unescorted guests are not allowed in the residence halls at any time (i.e., lobbies, resident's rooms, snack areas, hallways, laundry areas, etc).
  4. Students are required to be in their assigned residence hall or off-campus at 12:00 am (security time). Non-residents and non-students must be off campus by 12:00 am (midnight). .
  5. During summer sessions, Gordon State College students are not allowed in campers' rooms or buildings, and campers are not allowed in student rooms or buildings.

** Individuals must be considerate of roommate(s).

How do I adjust the beds in my room? 

Work Orders may also be submitted through Mpulse under the Work Order Request Form for assistance.

Can I take the beds apart?

Beds with screws (Melton Hall specifically) are not to be taken apart for safety reasons. Beds that stack as bunk beds or beds that have adjustable heights may be set for resident convenience as long as the room is arranged back to its original position.

Can I have candles and incense in my room?

Candles and incense are NOT permitted for safety reasons.

How much are keys if you lose them?

Individual residents are issued keys to their room and building when they move into the residence halls. Residents losing room keys or failing to return room keys at the appropriate time will be charged as follows:

Traditional Halls

Commons Units

Village Units

Melton Hall-$100


Village Double-$100


4 BR/Kitchenette-$375

Village 2 BR/Bath-$100



Village 2BR/Kitchenette-$225

All room keys are the property of the College and may not be duplicated except by the College. Transference of room keys is prohibited. Unauthorized possession or use of College keys is prohibited. If keys are lost, stolen, or broken, a replacement key will be provided at a cost to the student. No refund or cancellation of charges will be made after a lock is re-cored.

Loaner Keys may be obtained as follows:

  1. Residents must come to the Village Housing Office between 8AM - 5PM upon misplacement of key(s).
  2. Students may sign out key(s) for a 7 day period (7 days) without charge, when he/she signs a Loaner Key Form.
  3. If the Loaner Key is not returned after 7 days has expired, it is assumed that the key is lost and the student will be charged for a lock core change based on building/location. If the student finds his/her key(s) after the 7 day period has passed but before the lock core is changed, a $50.00 charge will apply for Past Due Keys.
  4. Lock-Out Fees are processed by Resident Directors for students after hours and when the office is closed. A $25.00 lock-out fee is charged when a Resident Director assists a student with access to their room.

Do I have to have a meal plan?

All resident students are required to purchase a meal plan. 

The twelve (12) or nineteen (19) meal plan options can be used any time throughout the week. Residents may select either of the three regardless of the residence hall they are assigned. Students must carry their identification card with them at all times which allows access to the cafeteria and other dining areas for meal plan privileges, student activities, recreational facilities and events, thollege library, visitation in the residence halls, etc.

Can I have a friend stay overnight within residence halls?

Residents are permitted to have guests who are of the same sex/gender, are 16 years of age or older, and are not any person assigned to any particular residence hall room/building (non-resident). All residents are permitted to host 1 guest during the weekends, Friday through Sunday (12 noon), twice per month within each semester. Resident may submit an Overnight Guest Request online: click on Housing/Resident Services and Requests/Overnight Guest Request.

How do students get their mail?

Students are issued a mailbox / combination when they first move into a Gordon State College Residence Hall. The Mailroom is located in the Student Center, 2nd floor. The mail is delivered to the boxes Monday-Friday (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.).

Are freshmen allowed to bring cars?

Yes, any student can have a car on campus as long as they purchase a parking permit and register the vehicle.

Do the residence halls have a curfew?

There is a security time at 12:00 am (midnight). This is a time that students and non-students are not allowed to loiter on campus.

How many computers can you have in a room?

Each resident of the room is allowed to have a computer. In addition to the computer labs located on campus, Gordon Commons and Village have computer and study rooms. Melton Hall has computers/cubicles located in the building as well.

 Is there a separate bill for cable?

There is no extra charge for cable. This charge is included in the room rate per semester. 

How many people share a room?

A resident may have one to three roommates based on their residence hall choice.

Do residents have access to washers and dryers? If so, what is the cost to wash and dry?

Residence hall students have unlimited use of the laundry facilities as it is included in the rental fee. Since residents have unlimited use of the machines there is no need for coins and no need to overload the washers/dryers. Washers and dryers are for use by Gordon State College resident students ONLY. Non-residents and non-students will be fined and/or criminal trespassed.

Do all the residence halls have a kitchen area?

While meal plans are required for all residents, some residence halls have areas with kitchen sinks and refrigerators in the common areas. Most residence halls have microwaves in the common areas. Kitchenette rooms/units have full sized refrigerators, microwaves, kitchen sinks and pantry closets.

Do all the residence halls have air-conditioning? If so, is it self-controlled?

Residence halls have air-conditioning and heat. All units are self-controlled by residents within the unit/room. Facilities request the following settings for Heat (72-76) and Cool (70-74).

Are there any activities for the residents in the Residence Halls?

Campus Activities, Recreation, Counseling, and Residence Life Offices plan numerous events for the student body. Residence Life plans both weekday and weekend activities for residents within the residence halls and surrounding areas. Information is posted on lobby and hallway bulletin boards as well as email and under the web calendar.

Are alcoholic beverages allowed in the Residence Halls rooms?

Residents are NOT permitted to have alcohol or decorative bottles in the residence halls or on campus at large.

Are there any co-ed buildings?

Yes, there are co-ed buildings where females live on certain floors/hallways and males another. All residence halls are co-ed.

Where is the parking for Residence Hall students?

Residents may park in spaces reserved for residents/students only. Some parking is available near individual residence halls.

Who helps secure the campus?

Public Safety personnel patrol the campus 24 hours a day/7 days a week/365 days a year. Public Safety sponsors safety sessions and offers identification services for personal items. Resident Directors and Community Assistants are available in the evenings to assist residents as well. In addition, Security Attendants are posted at the front desk/reception areas of each residence hall during evening/early morning hours throughout the academic school year. Residents are responsible for showing their GC Identification when entering the residence halls and keeping their keys on them at all times. Public Safety's Office is located in Gordon Hall and they may be reached at 678. 359. 5101 or their emergency line at 678. 359. 5111

Is tutoring available?

Students should contact their advisors and/or academic departments about more information on reading, writing, and math lab hours. Information related to lab hours are listed on the website at, Student Success Center (Student Center).

What can a resident do if they do not get along with their roommate(s)?

Initially, residents are encouraged to meet with their Community Assistants and/or Resident Directors in hopes of resolving minor personal conflicts. In cases of major conflict, residents may request a room change at a cost of $100 per resident with approval through the Housing and Residence Office (Gordon Village).

Room changes may be made at a cost of $100 (per person) once the second day of classes begins, as approved by the Office of Student Housing. The steps below must be followed to complete a room change:

  1. All parties involved (agree in writing) in the room change must come to the Office of Residence Life and/or Student Housing.
  2. All students must have a current room inventory form on file before room changes are permitted. Students moving will be given their current Room Inventory Form as well as a key and paperwork to the new room.
  3. Students moving will have a Community Assistant (CA) check them out of their old room, and into the new room with the appropriate paperwork.
  4. Students turn in completed forms (old/new) and old keys (building/room/hallway) to the Office of Residence Life/Student Housing immediately after the move is complete.

How can I get in touch with a student due to an emergency?

Public Safety is available 24 hours a day (678-359-5111*Emergency Line); Village (Housing and Residence Life Office) and Commons B are available from 8 am - 5 pm (Monday through Friday).

What are the cafeteria hours?

See the Gordon State College Dining Link at

Where can a student go if they get sick or hurt?

Students may visit the Student Health Center located in Gordon Hall when needing medical assistance. In addition to the part-time nurse on campus, local physicians are available in town. Phone numbers for the physicians are listed in the front of the Guide to Highlander Living and the local telephone book.

Does Gordon State College offer its students health insurance? Is it mandatory?

See the Student Health Insurance web page for detailed information.

Who is in charge of the building if a student needs assistance with a concern or problem?

Residents are able to contact a Resident Director who lives in the building for supervision purposes during evening hours. Community Assistants are also available for assistance. The Office of Residence Life (located in Gordon Commons Building B) and the Student Housing Office (located in the Gordon Village) are available Monday through Friday (8:00 am- 5:00 pm).

Is there a banking service on campus? Where can a student open an account?

ATM Machines for United Bank Access are located on campus in the Student Center. Students can also visit United Bank in town (1/2 mile from campus).

What are the dimensions of the room so that I know how much to bring?

Students should refer to the Residence Halls webpage for room dimension specifics.

Are there smoking and non-smoking rooms?

Tobacco usage is prohibited at Gordon State College.

In order to ensure a safe, healthy environment, all Gordon State College facilities are tobacco free for all employees, students, and visitors effective June 1, 2011. The use of all tobacco products is prohibited within the boundaries of all College locations including all buildings, facilities, indoor and outdoor spaces and grounds owned, rented, operated, and/or leased by the College. This applies to parking lots, walkways, sidewalks, sports venues, State vehicles and private vehicles parked or operated on College property. For the purposes of this policy, tobacco is defined as any type of tobacco product including, but not limited to: cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, electronic cigarettes, pipes, bidis, hookahs, blunts, smokeless or spit tobacco or snuff.

Enforcement of this policy is intended to be educational, but violations may result in monetary fines of $150.00 and/or disciplinary actions as outlined in the Gordon State College Academic Catalog/Student Code of Conduct.

What is a bed bug?

Download this informative bed bug FAQ (pdf)