The Student Success Center at Gordon State College supports students in all aspects of the writing process. Our primary goal is to provide a learning space in which all students in the College can receive one-on-one tutorial assistance from trained, qualified peer tutors. We foster a positive environment that promotes excellence in composition in all disciplines and all levels of development. We are committed to helping students discover effective writing practices and skills in order to enhance their opportunities for success in both their academic work and future careers. In addition to one-on-one tutoring, we have a number of handouts and online tutorials available to help students with specific writing needs. We also provide technological support for student writers in the form of computer access and assistance.
What We Do
- Help students understand the writing assignment
- Help students generate ideas for responding to the assignment
- Help students focus and organize those ideas
- Help students learn how to support main ideas with details and examples
- Help students with introductions and conclusions
- Help students understand the audience issues inherent in all writing assignments
- Help students identify and prioritize weaknesses in their writing
- Help students recognize grammatical errors and learn to correct them
- Help students with format questions
- Encourage students to develop their writing potential
What We Don't Do
- We do not write papers, paragraphs, or sentences for students
- We do not provide line-by-line proofreading of papers
- We do not "fix" papers while students sit passively watching
- We do not grade papers
- We do not speculate about what grade a paper might receive
- We do not guarantee grades
- We do not write notes to instructors for students-all instructors are given a Tutoring Notes Worksheet, so they already know which students are working hard in the Writing Center
- We do not critique, criticize, or talk in any other way about instructors or their grading practices
How to Get the Most Out of Your Writing Center Visit:
- Start early-we can't help you if you show up an hour before the essay is due! The sooner you involve us in the process, the more we can help you. The longer you wait, the less we can help.
- Bring your instructor's assignment sheet and any other pertinent handouts. We cannot help you if we don't know what you're supposed to be doing!
- Come ready to work. Tutoring is an interactive process. Our tutors will get you started, but you will be doing the real work.