Accessibility Services

Accessibility Services is located in the Counseling Center in the Student Center, second floor, room 212. Accessibility Services is the office where students with an identified disability register their disability and make arrangements for academic accommodations. Academic accommodations are available to support the success of the student with a disability. All services provided by Counseling and Accessibility Services are available to students free of charge. Any student attending any GSC campus may contact Counseling and Accessibility Services to make an appointment. The same services are provided to students attending satellite campuses on an as needed basis.

Gordon State College will provide accessibility and reasonable accommodations to individuals defined as disabled under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the American Disabilities Act of 1990. Gordon State College will not deny admission to the college to any individual with a qualified disability based on the disability. Student with disabilities must meet the same Admissions standards as all other students.

Who Qualifies for Accommodations

Students with a documented disability may register their disability with the Accessibility Services Office and request accommodations that are specific to their disability. Disabilities may be permanent or temporary and are categorized into three areas, physical, psychological and learning disorders (this includes ADD/ADHD).

How to apply for academic accommodations at Gordon State College

Students must provide documentation that meets the requirements set forth by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. Documentation submitted to Accessibility Services is maintained in a confidential file that is separate from other academic records at Gordon State College. Academic accommodations received for a disability are not noted on a student's transcript.

Resources and Guidelines for Documentation Needed

USG/BOR Academic Affairs Handbook Section 3.11 (Students with Learning Disorders)

Documentation must be completed by a physician or another licensed medical professional. Forms not signed by a physician or medical professional will not be accepted. You or your doctor may fax the forms to our confidential fax 678.359.5193.

Once documentation is gathered, a face to face meeting will need to be scheduled. Make an appointment with Accessibility Services to meet with a professional staff member regarding your request for academic accommodations. In an effort to better serve you, we will set aside a time to meet with you, therefore appointments are required. Call 678-359-5585 and request an appointment with a professional staff member to discuss your request for academic accommodations. Bring copies of all documentation with you to the appointment (we will make copies for you to leave with us for your file).

Students who present outdated documentation or do not have sufficient documentation to qualify for academic accommodations will be provided with referral information for testing to be performed at the Regent's Center for Learning Disorders (RCLD) at Georgia State. Students who wish to test at the RCLD must complete an RCLD packet and must be referred to the RCLD by a professional staff member in the Accessibility Services office. Students who need updated testing or initial testing are responsible for the cost of any testing.

Upon arrival, you will complete an Intake Form so that we may get some information from you. Once the intake is completed, a staff member will meet with you to review the documentation that you provide. During this meeting you will discuss your disability, how it impacts your academic performance, any accommodations that you have previously received for your disability and what accommodations you are seeking at Gordon State College. You will be advised of the steps that are needed to approve your documentation or if your documentation is insufficient for academic accommodations.

The Counselor will familiarize you with the processes involved and the resources available. Students who are approved to receive accommodations are provided with a Student Accommodation Report (SAR). It is an official confidential document that explains the accommodations that you have been approved for and are entitled to in the classroom or Testing Center. The student will be provided with a copy of a SAR that they will be responsible for delivering to each instructor. Upon receipt of the SAR, the instructor will sign a Faculty SAR Receipt form, verifying receipt of the SAR. Once all instructors have been provided with a SAR, the Faculty SAR receipt form is returned to Accessibility Services to document that you have notified each of your instructors about your accommodations. Instructors are provided with a letter listing your academic accommodations. Your diagnosis or reason for accommodations is not printed on the letter and is kept confidential from the instructor. The student may choose to disclose this information to the instructor; that is a personal choice. Students must self- advocate and should contact Accessibility Services as soon as possible if they feel that they are not being provided with the approved academic accommodations.

How to Request Approved Accommodations

Students requesting academic accommodations are expected to provide Accessibility Services with a copy of their Detailed Student Schedule. This schedule may be faxed, emailed or dropped off to the Accessibility Services prior to the beginning of the semester. Receipt of a student's schedule is notification to Accessibility Services that the student is requesting their approved academic accommodations for the semester. Academic Accommodation letters for the student to provide to instructors are prepared and ready the first day of class for students who submit a copy of their schedule to Accessibility Services before classes begin. Students who submit a copy of their schedule after classes begin are place on a list and letters are prepared and provided to the student on a first-come first-served basis. Students who are approved for Temporary Accommodations for one semester will be required to sign a Temporary Accommodations agreement.

Possible Accommodations and Services may include:

Accessible Furniture, AMAC Resources, Campus Accessibility, Captioning Services, Priority (early) Registration, Foreign Language Substitution, General Classroom Accommodations, Note Taking Assistance, Approval to Record Lectures, Residence Hall Accommodations, Service Animal Policy, Testing Accommodations.

Grievance Procedures

Students who are eligible for academic accommodations are provided a Student Accommodation Report (SAR) that the student is expected to deliver to each instructor. If a student has provided their instructor with a SAR and they believe that an instructor is not providing them with their accommodations, they should report this to the Director of Accessibility Services as soon as possible. The Director of Accessibility Services will work with the instructor to assist with the process of providing the student with approved appropriate accommodations.

Policies/ Forms