In 1876 this was the first structure built specifically for Gordon Institute. It was located in the general area where the Barnesville Chamber of Commerce sits today facing towards Holmes Street.
In 1875 Alice Wooten was the first person to receive a diploma from Gordon Institute.
In 1889 the original building from the first picture was enlarged by the addition of four school rooms and a hallway. The building was torn down in 1934 and part of the lumber was used to construct Memorial Gymnasium, now known as Guillebeau Hall.
This building was a combination of armory and auditorium built for Gordon Institute in 1897. The Armory was on the right end of the building facing onto Holmes Street while the Auditorium occupied the larger part of the building and faced Thomaston Street. In 1946 the auditorium was lost to an overnight fire.
This a view of the Auditorium from Thomaston Street.
Gordon Institute alumnus - 1896
Back Row L-R Mrs. Leila May Stewart Rhodes, Mr. Fletecher Henry, Mrs. Augustus Lambdin, Miss Lily Turner, Mrs. Nottingham, Mrs. Mary B. Smith and Professor Frank Oliphant. Middle Row L-R Unknown child and woman. Front Row L-R Miss Lee, Mr. Quincy Nash, Dr. Jere Pound, Miss Katherine Lockhardt and Miss Anne McCullough.
This is one half of the Primary School Department. The two adults in the center L-R are Mrs. Augustus Lambdin and Mrs. Loula Kendall Rogers, the principal of the Primary Department.
The building at the far left of the photograph is one of the original dorms that sits where T-Street Barracks would eventually be built.
Back Row L-R: J. E. Howard, J. E. Arnold, Terrell Covington, Parker Babb, C. J. Curry and B. M. Taylor. Front Row Sitting L-R: C. S. Kelly CPT. E. T. Winston, PMS H. L. Covington and A. H. Reppard.
Back Row L-R: Cora Bankston Moore, John G. Colbert, Sally Marshburn, Lucy Stroud Bowman, Frank Powell, Cora Moss, Ruth Elder, David Davis, Dora Howard Tyus, Claude Keith and Bessie Cannafax Milner. Middle Row L-R: William Faulk, Elma Grace Newton, Bob Forrester, Florrie Howard Jackson, Paul Anderson, Martha Kate Porch Cook, Douglas McKinney, Mattie Tyus Barnes and Dudley Cannafax Front Row L-R: Lillian Reeves Smith, Leon Hanson, Fannie Floyd Scott, John Thurman, Alice Hunt McWhorter and Bradley Hogg.
Top Row L-R: Coach Cunningham, Bob McWhorter, Unknown, Miguel Jackson Middle Row L-R: Alex Knight, Hawkins, Turk, Henderson, Unknown and Lasserre Front Row L-R: Randolph, Unknown, Blakmore, Nelson and Hutchinson.
The Carnegie Libary was opened in 1910 and Gordon Institute / Military College students used the library until 1933 when the school opened a separate library. The Carnegie Library continued to operate as the public library until 1987 when the new library opened.
The Academic Building was designed by Eugene C. Wachendorff, an Atlanta architect, who also designed the Lamar County Courthouse. The building opened on September 5, 1912 and housed the High School and the College until 1933 when those divisions moved to the former Sixth District A & M campus. From 1934 to an unknown date it housed the Grammar School division of Gordon. Around 1984-1986 it was torn down to make room for the Barnesville-Lamar County public library.
In no particular order: A. Ohlman- President, D. L. Stockbridge -Vice-President, J. G. Carpenter - Secretary-Treasurer, T. C. Keen, E. H. Winchester, O. H. Starnes, J. S. Smith and D. H. Metts.
In no particular order: T. D. Joiner, B. Lynch, E. W. Purcell, A. M. Day, O. C. Mizell, B. P. Webb, W. N. Pace, Capt. J. M. Dixon, J. P. Doster, R. L. Hammond, W. Turnipseed, R. Lynch, J. G. Miller, K. L. Stewart, J. S. Stockbridge, F. L. Kirkland, T. E. Jones, C. V. Baker and E. W. Pugh.
Back Row: Coach Parker Mosely Middle Row L-R: Unidentified, Unidentified, Unidentified, R. W. Jenkins "Sal" (Captain and Pitcher), Otto B. Dumas (Shortstop), and Phil Brewster (Pitcher). Front Row L-R N. Poore "Shorty" (Left field), Unidentifed, S. A. Pierce (Catcher)? Frank Ogletree (2nd Base) and R. A. Freeman (Shortstop). The unidentifed in no particular order are Earl Daniel (1st Base), J. A. Brown (3rd Base), H. L. Sheppard (Center Field) and E. T. Busbin (Right Field).
Back row L-R: Myrtrude Henslee, Lt. Heay and Elizabeth Smith. Middle Row L-R: Evelyn Matt, Elizabeth Anderson and Lula Pulliam Front Row L-R: Emma Martin, Sarah Smith and Sarah Burns.
Photograph of letterhead section of stationary which depicts a cadet, female student and the Gordon Institute buildings.
The Eunomian and Lysian Societies were literary societies formed in 1872 for the high school girls and boys.
This music was composed by Mrs. Annie Sanford Cochrane, former Gordon Institute teacher and dedicated to Lieu. A. R. Piper, Commandant of Gordon Institute Cadets.
Cap worn by cadet Thomas Rogers.
Gordon Email | Banner Web | Log-in Station | Library | Directions | Contact Us | Human Trafficking Notice | Text Only
419 College Drive Barnesville, GA 30204 678.359.5555