The University System of Georgia Touts $19.3 Billion Economic Impact to the State

By Karolina Philmon, GSC Marketing Manager

On Monday, June 27, the University System of Georgia (USG) released a report that listed Gordon State College as having contributed more than $122 million to the regional economy and provided 998 jobs in fiscal year (FY) 2021.

The FY spanned from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021.

In FY21, GSC had a little over 3,100 students enrolled. Of GSC’s total job impact, 292 jobs existed on campus while 706 jobs existed off-campus due to institution-related spending.

“Gordon State College’s renewed partnerships and the educational ecosystem approach has been a catalyst for the significant impact within our regional economy. Our five-year strategic plan, ‘Building the Power of WE!’ is in full effect,” said GSC President Dr. Kirk A. Nooks. “We will continue to move forward with a confident mindset that our graduates are equipped to provide the local region with talent demonstrating the Highlander EDGE.”

The Highlander EDGE represents qualities that set Gordon graduates apart: Engaged Innovators, Dedicated Scholars, Gifted Communicators, and Ethical Leaders.

The report showed that the USG played a critical role in the state’s recovery and recorded a statewide economic impact of $19.3 billion for FY21, a 3.8% increase over FY20. USG also generated 152,629 full-and part-time jobs across Georgia. Of the 152,629 jobs generated, 33% were on campus while the remaining 67% of those jobs were located within the institutions’ local communities. On average, each on-campus job led to the creation of two additional off-campus jobs as a result of spending by the institution.

USG Chancellor Sonny Perdue commented on the report about the key contributors for the positive results.

“USG institutions and the system as a whole are key contributors to our state and are an economic engine for communities in every region of Georgia,” Perdue said. “That economic impact continues to climb, and we are grateful to Governor Brian Kemp and the General Assembly for their support of the university system and public higher education as we focus on increasing prosperity for the state and all Georgians.”

The annual report is conducted on behalf of USG by Jeffrey M. Humphreys, Ph.D., director of the Selig Center for Economic Growth in the University of Georgia’s Terry College of Business. In addition, a companion report titled, “Lifetime Earnings for the University System of Georgia Class of 2021,” was produced by the Selig Center and provided estimates of the increased earnings over a working lifetime associated with USG degrees.

The economic impact study revealed every dollar spent by USG institutions generated an additional 47 cents for the regional economy.

Of the $19.3 billion economic impact, $13.1 billion came from direct spending by institutions. Spending within the institutions’ local communities generated $8.9 billion of the $19.3 billion total.