In This Section
Health Information Management is the business side of medicine. It may also be referred to as Health Information Informatics Administration or simply Health Information Management (HIM). The profession focuses on health care data and the management of healthcare information resources. It addresses the nature, structure, and translation of data into usable forms of information for the advancement of health and healthcare of individuals and populations. HIM professionals may also be involved in the financial side of medicine such as revenue cycle and medical coding compliance. The HIM professional is an important member of the healthcare team who provide quality information which directly contributes to the quality of patient care.
Why Gordon State College?
- The Gordon State College Health Information Management program offers a unique curriculum with a solid foundation in statistics, finance, management, and health information.
- Students are provided with a professional practice experience at a clinical site.
- The program offers small class sizes with a small student to faculty ratio
- Students are provided with the knowledge they need to be successful in the HIM industry
- The HIM faculty are professionals in the field of Health Information Management and are active members of the Georgia Health Information Management Association, American Health Information Management Association, additional professional memberships may include the American Academy of Professional Coders, and the Healthcare Information Management Systems Society.
Why Health Information Management?
- It is a career which combines business, technology, and medical knowledge.
- Many employers allow remote opportunities
- The profession of health information management is one of the fastest growing occupations in the U.S. today
- Challenging and rewarding career in which there is room to grow and learn
- Some HIM job titles include: medical coder, medical biller, compliance officer, coding auditor, ICD-10 coding specialist, cancer registry consultant, and HIM director.