What is a 1098-T?
The 1098-T form is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Eligible educational institutions are required to submit general student enrollment information and financial data for the corresponding tax year. Information included is student name, address, social security number or tax identification number, enrollment status, academic status, amount billed for qualified tuition and fees, scholarship or grant amounts, and, if applicable, adjustments to prior year qualified tuition and/or adjustments to prior year scholarships.
The 1098-T statements will only include the amount of eligible charges billed and eligible scholarships and grants received or any adjustments to prior year changes. You must rely on your receipts to determine the amount paid out-of-pocket.
Accessing your 1098-T Online & Consent
Federal regulation allows those eligible to receive IRS Form 1098-T the option to receive the form in an electronic format instead of through the mail. In order to exercise this option, eligible recipients must provide consent to receive the form in an electronic format. To receive an electronic IRS1098-T, you must select give consent prior to January 1 of the following year for which tax statements are being prepared. This election is made when the personal information is updated each year. The information on the 1098-T is only informational. You MUST rely on your receipts to determine the amount paid out-of-pocket for the tax credit.
Students who have selected "I Do Not Consent" should expect the form to be mailed the last week of January of the following tax year. Example: 1098-T for tax year 2016 will be mailed the last week of January, 2017.
Click here to give consent to receive your 1098-T form electronically.
The benefits to receiving electronic notification are:
- Provides access to the form 1098-T earlier than the traditional mailing process.
- Online access eliminates the chance that the 1098-T will get lost, misdirected, or delayed during delivery, or misplaced once the student receives it.
- Signing up for online access is easy and secure.
- Students can access their 1098-T form while traveling or away from their home address.
To Access your 1098-T form online:
- Enter www.heartland.ecsi.net into an internet browser of choice
- Click to view your tax form
- Type in School Name and Submit
- Continue through the remaining questions until you have completed them all
- For additional questions or help, call 1-866-428-1098 or firstname.lastname@example.org