How To


Please have the student's FERPA code ready when you call our office.

Since an individual's identity cannot be verified by telephone, only general information will be given over the phone without the student's FERPA code being provided.

What is a FERPA Code?

How to create a FERPA Code:

  • Login to Banner Web
  • Click on Student
  • Click on FERPA and read terms shown
  • Click Continue
  • Enter code and click Submit

Forgot your FERPA Code?  Please visit the Registrar's Office for assistance.

How to View Outstanding Requirements

All verification is completed online.  Please log into the  GSC verification system to submit all documents and answer all questions.

How to View and Accept Your Award

Step 1: You have been offered a Federal Direct Loan.  You must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours a semester to receive the loan.  You do NOT have to accept this loan if you do not wish to do so.  You must either accept or decline this loan.  To do so, please login to your Banner Web account and follow the instructions below.

  1. Log into Banner Web
  2. Select “Financial Aid”
  3. Select “Award”
  4. Select “Award by Aid Year” and then select appropriate year
  5. Click on the "Terms and Conditions" tab at the top of the screen.
  6. Read the "Terms and Conditions" and accept at the bottom.
  7. Click on the “Accept Award Offer” tab at the top of the screen

At this point you may choose to  1) accept the full amount of the loan, 2) reduce the amount of the loan, or 3) decline the full amount of the loan.

***If you have previously completed entrance counseling  at Gordon State College and signed a Master Promissory Note on

One business day after you have completed the steps listed above, you will be able to sign your Master Promissory Note and complete the Entrance Counseling at . Please be sure to complete these requirements as the process will not be complete until you have done so.

Step 2: How to Complete Entrance Loan Counseling

  1. Sign into  Student Loans using your Federal Student Aid PIN.
  2. Use of another person's PIN constitutes fraud. Use only your own PIN information.
  3. Select "Complete Counseling" found in the left navigation bar
  4. Select "Entrance Counseling" under "Choose Counseling Type"
  5. Select Gordon State College as the school you want to notify of counseling completion
  6. Select "Student Type" Undergraduate

***If you are a first time loan recipient, your loan is subject to the 30 day delay rule. This means that your loan funds will not disburse to Gordon State College until 30 days from the first day of class. These funds will show as memoed to your account until the disbursement date.

****If you are getting a loan for only one semester, it will disburse two separate times during the term.

If you would like to see when the disbursements dates are, please see the How To View the Date the Bursar's Office Will Receive my Funds tab below.

How to Complete an Electronic MPN

Step 3: Signing your MPN

  1. Sign into  Student Loans.
  2. Use of another person's PIN constitutes fraud. Use only your own PIN information.
  3. Once signed in, click on the "Complete MPN" option located under the "Master Promissory Note" heading on the left menu bar. The Master Promissory Note (MPN) page will appear.
  4. Select the type of loan you would like to receive.
  5. Follow the instructions to complete, sign, and submit your MPN.

How to View my Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Standing

Please check your Banner Web account for your financial aid  Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standing.   Your SAP standing is calculated at the end of each semester of enrollment. 

  1. Log into Banner Web
  2. Select “Financial Aid”
  3. Select “Financial Aid Status”
  4. Select the appropriate aid year
  5. Select “My Overall Status of Financial Aid”
  6. If you see “Based on your academic transcript, the status of your academic progress is”
    1. “Not Making Progress as of” You are no longer eligible for federal funding.
    2. “Warning” You have one semester of eligibility left.  You will need to be making SAP at the end of the next semester.

How to View the Date the Bursar's Office will Receive my Funds

Please check your Banner Web account to determine what day your funds will be available in the Bursar's office.  Please note that if you have a credit balance, the refunds will be available 14 days after the disbursement date.

  1. Log into Banner Web
  2. Select "Financial Aid"
  3. Select "Award"
  4. Select "Award Payment Schedule"
  5. Select the appropriate aid year
  6. This will show all of your disbursements and the date they will be available.
    1. Expected Date - is the date the funds will be available in the Bursar's office.  (Please note any refunds will be available 14 days after this date)
    2. Expected Amount - is the amount that will be disbursed on the expected date.
    3. Paid to Date - is the amount that has already been disbursed to the Bursar's office.

How to Fill Out Your FAFSA

  1. Go to Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA)
  2. Click on the FSA ID line
    • If you are a dependent student, the parent and student must create a FSA id.
  3. Click on Start A New FAFSA
  4. Log in with your student FSA id.
  5. Add the school code of 001575
  6. Help and hints are located on the right to assist during the process.
  7. After submitting the FAFSA please look for your confirmation email. In that email you will find: 
    • A predicted Estimated Family Contribution (EFC)
    • If you are picked for verification
    • If your FAFSA was accepted

For additional information please visit website. 

How to View My Balance

Please check your Student Account to determine if there are any outstanding balances.

  • From the GSC website
  • Click on My Gordon
  • Scroll to the Quick Links
  • Click the Pay Now for Students Via Student Account Center
  • Once they’ve logged in with their network username and password:
  • Click “Make Payment” and then it will be broken down by term

How do I make changes to my declined Federal Direct Loans

I have only accepted a portion or declined by loans.  How do I get the loans reinstated?

How do I receive financial aid for summer

  • Submit the Summer award
  • Log in with your network username and password