International Student

Coding for students that are not US citizens is contained in 2 locations in Banner and there are 3 possible combinations of codes.  Non-US students can be Resident Aliens or Non-Resident Aliens.  The Non-Resident Aliens can be further divided based on their having an F1 Visa.

Resident aliens and other eligible (for financial aid purposes) non-citizens who are not citizens or nationals of the
United States and who have been admitted as legal immigrants for the purpose of obtaining permanent resident alien
status (and who hold either an alien registration card (Form I-551 or I-151), a Temporary Resident Card (Form I-688),
or an Arrival-Departure Record (Form I-94) with a notation that conveys legal immigrant status such as Section 207
Refugee, Section 208 Asylee, Conditional Entrant Parolee or Cuban-Haitian) are to be reported in the appropriate
racial/ethnic categories along with United States citizens.

Nonresident alien - A person who is not a citizen or national of the United States and who is in this country on a visa or
temporary basis and does not have the right to remain indefinitely. NOTE - Nonresident aliens are to be reported
separately, in the boxes provided, rather than included in any of the seven racial/ethnic categories.

Banner INB Forms
The Citizenship code is maintained on the SPAPERS form which is also assessable from the SPAIDEN form.  The available options for Citizenship are maintained on the STVCITZ form.

The F1 Visa status is maintained on the GOAINTL form.  Available options for Visa types are maintained on the STVVTYP form.

Banner Tables
The Citizenship code is stored in the SPBPERS table.  It is coded into the v_person view.  The field name is spbpers_citz_code.  Reference codes are stored in the STVCITZ table.

The Visa status is stored in GORVISA table and is unique per PIDM, SEQ_NO and VTYP_CODE.  Reference codes for the Visa Type field GORVISA_VTYP_CODE are stored in STVVTYP.

Business Practice
All students should be coded with a Citizenship Code of C for US Citizen, R for Resident Alien or A for Non-Resident Alien.  Only Non-Resident Aliens should have F1 Visas entered on the GOAVISA form.