Smoke Free at Gordon
On June 1, 2011, Gordon State College become a tobacco-free campus. Below are resources on smoking and tools to help you quit.
- The Georgia Smoke Free Air Act (pdf)
- How Can I Quit Smoking - The American Heart Association (pdf)
- You Can Quit Smoking - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (pdf | 1.4 MB)
- Smoking Cessation Classes - Free to the community. Offered at Spalding Regional Medical Center in Griffin.
- Articles and tools to assist you in quitting smoking - Spalding Regional Medical Center.
- Guide to Quitting Smoking - American Cancer Society Information on reasons to quit, benefits of quitting, and how to begin the process of quitting.
- American Lung Association Stop Smoking - Information on the negative effects of smoking and how to quit.
- Information on the negative health effects of smoking, articles and facts about quitting, and various other resources - Center for Disease Control (CDC).
- Live online chat with an information specialist from Cancer Information Service (M - F 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.) - National Cancer Institute.Information, news and articles on how tobacco use/exposure can cause cancer and other health problems as well as information on where to get help quitting and how to handle withdrawal symptoms.
- Quit Smoking Today - Smoke Free.gov. A variety of tools and tips to help you quit smoking. For information geared specifically toward women, see http://women.smokefree.gov/
1-800-QUITNOW (1-800-784-8669) - Connects you to counseling and information about quitting smoking in your state.
1-877-270-STOP (1-877-270-7867) - The Georgia Tobacco Quit Line open 8am-Midnight every day. Free counseling support and referral services for GA residents age 13 and older. A counselor can help you develop a quit plan designed specifically for you.
1-877-44U-QUIT (1-877-448-7848) - Open Monday-Friday 8am to 8pm. Talk to a smoking cessation counselor for help quitting or smoking related questions.
Cell Phone Apps
NCI QuitPal is a free app from the National Cancer Institute that supports smokers working to become smokefree. This interactive app was developed using proven quit strategies and tools to help change behavior and assist you with giving up smoking.
QuitSTART is another free smartphone app that can help you track your cravings and moods, monitor your progress toward achieving smokefree milestones, identify your smoking triggers, and upload personalized "pick me ups" and reminders to use during challenging times to help you successfully become and stay smokefree. It was created with young adults in mind.
QuitGuide is a free application, written by tobacco control professionals and cessation counselors, with the help of ex-smokers and experts. This app is designed to help you prepare to quit smoking and support you in the days and weeks after you quit.
QuitNow! offers you real-time stats, anytime, to help you cope with anxiety: The time (days, hours, minutes) since the last cigarette of your life, - How many cigarettes you have avoided, - The money and time you have saved. Also, QuitNow! will provide you with W.H.O.-based (U.N.'s World Health Organization) indicators on your health improvement process.
Counseling and Accessibility Services
Student Center 212
419 College Dr
Barnesville, GA 30204
p678. 359. 5585
f 678. 359. 5193
Director, Counseling & Accessibility Services