All incidents or accidents involving fire on campus must immediately be reported to the Gordon State College Department of Public Safety. This includes occurrences of fire that do not require response from the fire department. Departmental supervisors will ensure that employees are aware of the location of fire extinguishers and fire alarm pull boxes in assigned work areas annually. Gordon employees should familiarize themselves with emergency evacuation routes and procedures for individual work stations.
In the Event of a Fire
- Activate the building alarm and notify Gordon Public Safety by dialing emergency number 678-359-5111 or 5111 by campus phone.
- Remain close to the floor to avoid smoke.
- If the fire appears controllable, use an available fire extinguisher directing it toward the base of the flame.
- If the fire appears to be uncontrollable, assist with the evacuation of the building in accordance with your department fire evacuation plan. Close doors while exiting, but do not lock them.
- Do not use elevators when evacuating due to the potential of entrapment.
- When evacuating, direct persons away from fire hydrants, sidewalks, and roadways adjacent to the building. Have bystanders assist with observing windows and other exits for persons that may be trapped inside.
- If trapped on a second story floor or higher, hang an article of clothing out of the window to signal public safety personnel to your location.
- In the event of fire involving clothing a person should stop, drop, and roll to extinguish the flames. Assistance may need to be given to a person that may not be able to perform these functions by themselves.
- Never attempt to assist or rescue where personal safety is compromised. Notify a public safety official of the situation immediately.