Application and Admission
ASN and LPN-RN Bridge Degree Program
General Requirements / Procedures for Admission
Admission to the Nursing Education Programs is granted on a space available basis. Applications that meet all admission requirements will be ranked according to their qualifications and admitted in order of their rank, starting with the most qualified, until all available spaces are filled. Admissions are extremely competitive. As such, not all individuals who meet the admission requirements may be admitted.
The Gordon State College ASN Nursing Program is 3 years in length IF you include the time required to complete the core classes.
|Spring 2019 ASN Application Information + Checklist|
The application process period for the Spring 2018 ASN Nursing Program ended July 14, 2017.
Applications for Spring 2019 ASN Cohort will be available online beginning June 1, 2018 - June 29, 2018.
For your convenience, you may download the Nursing Application Checklist to use as your guide for completing the nursing application process.
Prerequisite Core Classes:
- Quantitative Skills and Reasoning or College Algebra
- Anatomy/Physiology I
- Anatomy/Physiology II
- English Composition I
- English Composition II
- Human Growth & Development
- Microbiology with lab
- American History I or II
- approved Humanities Elective (3 hr.) (see Curriculum)
**All core classes must be passed with a grade of C or better. Biology 2210, 2211, and 2250 must be less than 5 years old upon entry into the program. For Spring 2019 cohort Sciences must be Fall 2014 to current.
General ASN Admission Requirements:
- Application for the General ASN admission program is accepted only during the application process period of June 1, 2018 - June 29, 2018, for admittance into the Spring 2019 ASN program.
- Must have applied for and received a letter of acceptance to Gordon State College prior to June 15, 2018.
- Must enclose current official academic transcripts in a sealed school envelope for each college/university/tech school attended to include Gordon State College transcript if you attended Gordon State College. (Gordon State College transcript may be printed from BannerWeb).
- A minimum 2.5 cumulative/overall GPA.
GPA Calculator (xls)
- Exemption from or completion of all Learning Support Classes.
- Department recommends completing 75-80% of Core Curriculum prior to applying to either the ASN program or the LPN-RN Bridge Program.
- BIOL 2210K, 2211K, and 2250K must be LESS than 5 years old. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- For Spring 2019, cohort sciences must be Fall 2014 to current.
- Successfully passing the Kaplan's Nursing Entrance Assessment Test (see Admission Test Requirements for details).
- Not failed two (2) or more nursing courses in any nursing program, including an LPN program. (a grade of "D" is considered failing in a nursing program).
- Not failed any nursing course with a grade of "F" in any nursing program, including LPN program.
- Able to meet Technical Standards.
LPN to RN Bridge Program Admission Requirements:
Applications for the LPN-RN program is accepted only during the Fall semester The application process period is December 1, 2017 - January 12, 2018. Deadline for complete application packet with all documentation to be submitted is 3:00 p.m. January 12, 2018, (or the last business day BEFORE the due date should it fall on a weekend) in order to be considered.
The LPN-RN program begins in the Fall (August) semester only and continues in the next Spring and consecutive Fall semester.
- LPN-RN applicants must meet ALL admission criteria as listed in the general ASN requirements.
- In addition to admission requirement listed above in general ASN admission requirements, you must also have a minimum of one year of practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse in a medical facility.
- Successful completion of the LPN Validation Test; Dosage Calculation Test; and Skills (Lab) Test for students who have received conditional acceptance to the nursing program. These tests are administered during the Fall semester proceeding the Spring semester start term. Passage of all 3 of these tests is required for final acceptance.
Application Packet Contents:
- Completed nursing application.
- Copy of an acceptance letter to Gordon State College.
- Must have applied to and received an acceptance letter to Gordon State College prior to November 17, 2017.
- Official Transcripts from any current colleges/universities/technical schools attended to include Gordon State College.
- Official Transcripts from all previous colleges/universities/technical schools attended.
- Copy of all licenses/certifications(LPN, CNA, EMT,etc.) if applicable.
- (LPN-RN Bridge ONLY) Work Verification Form - found under FORMS + LINKS)
- If previous was admitted to an RN OR LPN program (2) reference forms must be completed and submitted with your application. (located FORMS + LINKS)
**Incomplete/late applications will not be accepted.
Contact your Academic Advisor or refer to our website for course planning and additional information.