Middle Grades Education Admission Procedure, Application, & Forms
Admission to the Bachelor of Science in Education Program is granted on a space available basis. Applications that meet all admission requirements will be ranked according to their qualifications and admitted in order of their rank, starting with the most qualified, until all available spaces are filled. As such, not all individuals who meet the admission requirements may be admitted. The application process is continuous, and review of completed applications will begin as soon as they are received. Since the program of studies involves working in middle schools, prospective candidates must also consent to a criminal background check. Incomplete applications will not be considered for admission. Also, disciplinary action at Gordon State College and any other institution that the student has attended, including the military may prevent admission.
These forms are in PDF format and require Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here for instructions on how to fill in form fields on-screen in Adobe using the Typewriter tool.
How to Apply:
Admission Requirements Checklist: (Items 1- 8 must be completed before application will be reviewed.)
1. The applicant must be admitted to Gordon State College and in "good" standing with the College.
2. Applicants are projected to complete all of the lower level courses in an Associate of Arts program for Middle Education, by the end of the semester prior to admission, to include an overall last attempt GPA of 2.5 or better.
3. Applicants must have a grade of "C" or higher in all Area A and Area F courses* aligned with or specified by University System of Georgia institutions. Attach to this application an unofficial copy of your transcript to verify your standing with Gordon State College, your GPA, and your grades in Areas A and F. Non-Gordon Students must provide an official transcript.
4. Provide proof of a "passing" score on GACE (Admissions Assessment). This requirement may be met by one of the following:
- Pass GACE** (Basic Skills Assessment).
- Exempt because SAT** scores meet the minimum composite requirement of 1000 (Math and Verbal sections combined).
- Exempt because ACT** scores meet the minimum composite requirement of 43.
- Exempt because GRE** scores meet the minimum composite requirement of 1030.
5. Complete the "Application for Admission to the Bachelor of Science in Education Program." The Application for Admission is available for download at the top of this page under Admissions Forms. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
6. Applicants must submit three (3) professional recommendations using the Professional Recommendation form available for download above. Applicants should complete their portion of the professional recommendation form and give to an employer, someone familiar with your academic ability, or someone familiar with your ability to work with children. Professional recommendations may not come from personal friends, relatives, or social acquaintances.
7. Qualified applicants may be asked to schedule an interview.
8. Take Gace Ethics module
9. Register with My PSC and create an account
* Area A: Essential skills courses in the core curriculum. Area F: Courses in the major program of study.
** Attach to this application a copy of score report or high school/college transcript containing scores.
Notification of Acceptance:
Because this is a high demand major, not all qualified applicants may be admitted. Applicants will be notified by U.S. Mail of Acceptance, Acceptance with Conditions, Non-Acceptance, or Desire to be placed on a waiting list.
Dr. Michael Mahan, Dean
Gordon State College
School of Education
419 College Drive
Barnesville, GA 30204
Russell Hall 104E
678. 359. 5466