Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is a web-conferencing tool that can be used by faculty, staff, and students from within Brightspace by D2L or standalone (outside of D2L). This webinar tool allows groups to meet together at a specific time but from various locations. Ultra is similar to Blackboard Collaborate Classic (which can also be used inside of D2L and standalone), but has perhaps a sleeker interface.
What are the differences between Blackboard Collaborate Classic and Ultra?
|Blackboard Collaborate Classic||Blackboard Collaborate Ultra|
|Requires the download of the “Launcher” to open the program (individual is prompted the first time he/she she opens it)||Does not require the download of the “Launcher”|
|Does not have a default meeting room||Has a default “course room” that can be used in addition to specifically created sessions|
|Moderator/Presenter can use any browser to share desktop||Moderator/Presenter must use Chrome Browser to share desktop|
|Moderator/Presenter can upload PowerPoint files of any type||Moderator/Presenter must save PowerPoint files as 97-2003 template|
|Does not allow for the uploading of PDFs||Does allow for the uploading of PDFs|
|Does allow for private chat among participants||Does not allow for private chat among participants|
|Does allow the copying of breakout groups’ slides to the main room||Does not allow the copying of breakout groups’ slides to the main room|
|Does allow for the sending of an “announcement” to the entire class when in breakout groups||
Does not allow for the sending of an “announcement” to the entire class when in breakout groups
What are Options for Using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra?
- Course Orientations
- Weekly meetings with students in hybrid courses
- Optional meetings with students in traditional courses
- Common meeting room for student study (not monitored by instructor)
- Small group rooms for students to meet synchronously to discuss projects
- Tutoring sessions provided by instructor, staff members, and/or other students
- Advising sessions/Office meetings with students or other colleagues
- Recording of video demonstration (using the whiteboard) to be reviewed by students asynchronously
What Type of Interactivity is Possible with Blackboard Collaborate Ultra?
- Instructors can use the whiteboard and pen features to work/solve problems (teacher-student or student-student)
- Students/Instructors can use shapes to create diagrams to convey messages or complex processes.
- Create (either in Blackboard Ultra or PowerPoint) polling (yes/no) or multiple choice questions.
- Create breakout rooms to randomly or strategically partner students. Each group will have their own whiteboard and chat area.
- Instructors can allow students to use video, text chat, and voice chat to ask questions, make comments, etc.
- Students can use the hand-raise feature to maximize usage of classroom time and organization.
- Instructors can provide guest speakers (who are not enrolled in the course) a link to enter and participate in the session.
- Instructors can promote students to a presenter role to allow them to share their own files or screen.
- Instructors/Students can share their screen to demo special software/files
Faculty: Suggested Opener Slide for Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Sessions:
- It is suggested that faculty place a welcome message at the beginning of their session. This message should remind students to complete the audio/setup wizard as well as test their talk and chat functionality. Below is a copy of a PowerPoint slide that the faculty member can download and copy/paste into the front of the slides that they upload into the session. It is suggested for faculty to arrive to the session early and post this as students enter the room.
Faculty: Using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra within D2L:
- Click here to open a faculty training guide of how to use Blackboard Collaborate Ultra from within D2L.
- Click here to open a faculty training guide of how to use Blackboard Collaborate Ultra on mobile (there are some limitations).
- Click on the image below to open a training video of how faculty can use Ultra within D2L (use the bottom list icon to toggle the table of contents).
Faculty & Staff: Using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Standalone (outside of D2L):
- Click on the image below to open a training video of how faculty can use Ultra standalone (use the bottom list icon to toggle the table of contents).
Students: Using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra:
- Click here to open a student training guide of how to use Blackboard Collaborate Ultra (within D2L or standalone).
- Click here to open a training guide of how to use Blackboard Collaborate Ultra on mobile (there are limitations).
- Click on the image below to open a training video of how students can use Ultra (within D2L or standalone). (Use the bottom list icon to toggle the table of contents).