Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
This committee will serve to review any research proposals or other activities including educational that involve the use of non-human vertebrate animals..
The committee will be composed of the following members:
- 3 members from the Department of Biology (from which the chair of the committee will be selected)
- At least one of these members must be scientist experienced in research involving animals.
- 2 members selected from the other academic units
- 1 Student Member
- 1 Member from the Barnesville Community
- This member must not be affiliated in any way with Gordon State College and not a member of the immediate family of a person affiliated with Gordon State College, who represents the general community interests in the proper care and treatment of animals; and is not a laboratory animal user.
- 1 Veterinarian
- This member may be a faculty member of the Department of Biology if they hold a DVM and current license to practice in the state of Georgia. However, he/she may not count towards the 3 members from the division of Department of Biology on the committee.
Membership is for one year, however, members from the Department of Biology are required to serve three years.
The IACUC will ensure that research procedures and protocols follow Federal guidelines for animal care, including but not limited to the inspection of animal holding facilities and on-site visitations for field based work. In accordance with the Animal Welfare Act (PL-89-545 and its subsequent amendments) every institution that uses vertebrates in research, testing and/or education must have an Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee in place to oversee the use of these animals.
- Academic Unit Representatives
- Dr. Alan Burstein, Business and Public Services
- Dr. Doug Davis, Humanities
- Members from the Department of Biology and Physical Sciences
- Dr. Joyce Klaus
- Dr. Greg Hartman
- Dr. Anne Sanders
- One Student Member: Sarah Bowman (fall 2017) and Michael Perry (spring 2018)
- One Veterinarian: TBD
- One Member from the Barnesville Community: TBD