Quick Links    My Gordon    Site Map    Facebook  Twitter  YouTube  
A unit of the University System of Georgia

Student Records

return to contents

Registrar’s Office

The Registrar’s Office, located in Room 126 of Lambdin Hall, is responsible for (1) maintaining the permanent records of students after they have enrolled, (2) creating class rolls and grade reports, (3) determining graduation lists, (4) providing academic transcripts and enrollment verifications (5) assisting students with Veteran Benefits administered by the Veterans Administration (VA), and (6) re-admitting former students to the College after an absence of one or more semesters (excluding Summer Semester). This office is the primary contact for continuing and returning students. To contact the Registrar’s Office, call (678) 359-5022 or write:

Registrar’s Office
Gordon State College
419 College Drive
Barnesville, GA 30204

Include the student’s name, Gordon State College identification number, return mailing address, and current phone number to allow the Registrar’s Office to respond to correspondence easily.

return to top

Confidentiality of Records and Rights of Individual Privacy

Notification of Student Rights Under FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access.
    A student should submit to the Registrar, Department Head or School Dean, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.
    A student who wishes to ask the College to amend a record should write the College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.
    If the College decides not to amend the record as requested, the College will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to provide written consent before the College discloses personally identifiable information from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. FERPA authorizes disclosure without the student’s consent in the following cases:
    • Directory Information which includes a student’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, date and place of birth, photograph, dates of attendance, full/part-time enrollment status, major field of study, degrees, awards and honors received, previous institutions attended, participation in athletic and student activities, and height and weight of members of athletic teams. Students have the right to prohibit the release of their own directory information by advising the Registrar’s Office in writing.
    • To school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of using College employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Gordon State College Foundation; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the College.
    • Upon request, to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
    • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena.
    • To provide results of disciplinary proceedings to an alleged victim of a crime of violence.
    • To provide information from Gordon State College Department of Public Safety records.
    • In the case of a health or safety emergency.
    • To parents of dependent students as defined in Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986. For purposes of compliance with FERPA, Gordon State College considers all students to be independent students unless otherwise indicated with appropriate documentation.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Gordon State College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5901

Exception for Disclosures: The school at its discretion may notify parents of a student under 21 if the institution has determined that the student violated its alcohol or drug policies.

Notification: Students are notified of their rights under FERPA through the Gordon State College Academic Catalog, the Gordon State College website, Gordon State College email accounts, and at New Student Orientations.

return to top

Credit by Examination

Gordon State College recognizes that learning often results from advanced placement study, individual vocational study, and occupational experiences and offers credit by examination in accordance with the following policy.

return to top

Advanced Placement

Gordon State College recognizes the Advanced Placement (AP) Program of the College Board and awards credit for the examinations listed below according to the following regulations.

  1. Credit hours earned through AP examinations will be recorded on a student’s permanent record and will count toward graduation.
  2. Credit by AP examination will not be allowed for a course in which the student is enrolled or has previously received a grade.

The AP examinations recognized by Gordon State College, the minimum scores required for credit, and the amount of credit awarded for each examination can be found at http://www.gordonstate.edu/admissions/advanced-placement-ap. Contact the Registrar’s Office at 678-359-5022 if additional information is needed.

return to top

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Gordon State College recognizes the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) of the College Board and awards credit for the examinations listed according to the following regulations.

  1. Credit hours earned through CLEP will be recorded on a student’s permanent record and will count toward graduation.
  2. CLEP credit will not be allowed for a course in which the student has received a grade.
  3. CLEP credit will not be awarded for an examination taken more than twice.

The CLEP subject examinations recognized by Gordon State College, the minimum scores required for credit and the amount of credit awarded for each examination can be found at http://www.gordonstate.edu/admissions/collee-level-examination-program-clep. Contact the Registrar’s Office at 678-359-5022 if additional information is needed.

return to top

DSST (Dantes Testing Program)

Gordon State College participates in the University System of Georgia Soldiers to Scholars Program (S2S). As part of our efforts to be military friendly, we give credit for testing that occurs under the DSST program (also known as DANTES tests) using the scores recommended by the American Council of Education.

Information concerning the DSST tests and the corresponding Gordon State College credit can be found at http://www.gordonstate.edu/registrar/dantes-subject-standardized-tests-dsst-credit.

return to top

International Baccalaureate Diplomas and Certificates

Students who have participated in International Baccalaureate Programs in their high schools are welcomed at Gordon State College. In many circumstances, the college is able to award college credit for exemplary performance in IB courses.

If the student did not earn an International Baccalaureate Diploma but did earn a certificate in one or more higher level International Baccalaureate (IB) courses with a score of 4 or better, course credit is awarded by the academic divisions when it is judged that the IB course is equivalent to a course at Gordon State.

If the student completed the International Baccalaureate Diploma, the college will examine test results from both standard IB courses and higher level IB courses in all disciplines and award credit according to the following schedule.

Score Standard Level Higher Level
4 0 3-4
5 0-4 3-8
6-7 3-8 3-12

Students who have completed International Baccalaureate diplomas and/or certificates should provide evidence to the Admissions Office of their success in their courses. The Admissions Office will then consult with academic officers and award credit as described above. There will be a maximum of 24 semester hours credit given on the basis of work completed in International Baccalaureate Programs. Students cannot earn credit for the same course on the basis of AP testing and IB course credit.

return to top

Readmission of Former Students

Students who have not attended Gordon State College for one or more semesters (exclusive of Summer Semester) must file an application for readmission with the Registrar’s Office at least fifteen (15) business days prior to the beginning of the semester for which readmission is sought. Applications for readmission are available in the Registrar’s Office, and at http://www.gordonstate.edu/forms/registrar/app_readmission.pdf.

Students who wish to return to Gordon State College after being placed on academic suspension at Gordon State must apply for readmission to the College. If approved by the Admissions Committee, students will be readmitted on academic probation. As part of the readmission process, these students will be required to have a conference with personnel in the Student Success Center and take the one semester hour course, STAR 0098, in their first semester of attendance after an academic suspension.

Students applying for readmission who have attended other colleges and/or universities since their most recent enrollment at Gordon State must submit an official transcript from each college or university attended to the Registrar’s Office before a readmission decision can be made. In addition, a Transfer Eligibility Form completed by the most recent college/university attended since leaving Gordon State is required.  Transfer Eligibility Forms are available in the Registrar’s Office and at http://www.gordonstate.edu/forms/registrar/TransferEligibilityForm.pdf.

To qualify for readmission to Gordon State College, a former student must be eligible to return to the most recent college or university attended, or if suspended, dismissed or expelled from the most recent college or university attended, have approval from the Gordon State College Admissions Committee. If approved by the Admissions Committee, students readmitted to Gordon State College after having been placed on academic suspension, dismissal, expulsion, or probation by their former institution shall enter on academic probation and shall be subject to the academic standards of Gordon State College.

If absent for one year (three semesters) or longer, a former student with unmet Learning Support requirements must be re-evaluated for Learning Support placement which may require taking the ACCUPLACER placement exam. If placement testing is required, students seeking readmission will be notified by the Registrar’s Office.

Each University System institution shall verify the lawful presence in the United States of every successfully readmitted person applying for resident tuition status. Students who submit FAFSA’s will be verified electronically. Students who do not submit FAFSA’s will be required to submit additional documentation (driver’s license, birth certificate, passport, etc.) to the Registrar’s Office.

If a student is accepted for readmission and does not enroll the semester for which he or she applied and was readmitted, the student must update his or her readmission file by completing a new Application for Readmission and submitting the necessary documents. Additional information may also be required. Readmission for one term does not guarantee readmission for any subsequent term.

For more information or to request an application for readmission, contact the Registrar’s Office.

return to top

Request for Transient Study

Gordon State College students who wish to attend another college on a temporary basis must request a Letter of Transient Permission by submitting a request form to the Gordon State College Registrar’s Office (available in the Registrar’s Office or at http://www.gordonstate.edu/forms/ registrar/TransientPermission.pdf). Students who are eligible for the HOPE Scholarship must also complete the Request to Use Federal and/or HOPE Scholarship Funds as a Transient Student form, available at http:// www.gordonstate.edu/forms/finaid/FedFundsTransient.pdf. Students are responsible for applying for admission to the school they wish to attend on a transient basis.

Students must be currently enrolled at Gordon State College or be readmitted to Gordon State for the term of transient study to receive transient permission. Students who are on Academic Suspension or Learning Support Suspension are not eligible for transient study. Students approved for Academic Renewal are not eligible for transient study. Currently enrolled students who receive transient permission before the end of the term will be reviewed after the term has ended for appropriate academic standing. Transient permission will be revoked for students placed on Academic Suspension or Learning Support Suspension at the end of the term.

Students who receive transient permission are allowed only one semester of transient study before returning to Gordon State College. It is the student’s responsibility to have an official transcript of transient courses and grades sent to the Gordon State College Registrar’s Office after the courses are completed. Students who receive transient permission but do not enroll at the requested transient college must provide a written, signed statement that they did not attend the transient college to the Gordon State College Registrar’s Office.

return to top


Gordon State College will release an official College transcript to a specified third party upon written request from the student to the Registrar’s Office. All transcript requests must include the student’s signature and should contain the student’s Gordon State College identification number, most recent semester of attendance, other names used while in attendance at Gordon State, and the name and address of the party to receive the transcript. There is no charge for transcripts. Transcripts will not be released for students who have any outstanding obligation to the College.

return to top

Verification of Enrollment

To obtain a written verification of enrollment at Gordon State College, a student must submit a request for the verification to the Registrar’s Office. A student is defined as anyone who has officially been accepted to Gordon State College, registered properly for at least one credit course, and paid all fees required for the semester.

return to top

Veterans’ Benefits

The Registrar’s Office will assist veterans who are eligible for federal educational benefits by facilitating the process of applying for the federal educational benefits and by maintaining proper liaison with the Veterans Administration (VA).

Students who are eligible for Veterans Benefits are responsible for paying fees directly to the College and meeting payment deadlines applicable to all students. Payment of Veterans Benefits normally begins 30 to 45 days after the College certifies the student’s enrollment for the semester. Attendance is strictly enforced for students receiving Veterans Benefits. Upon being absent from a class three consecutive weeks in a full fall or spring term, two consecutive weeks in a half fall or spring term, two consecutive weeks in a full summer term, or one week in a summer alternate or half term, the College is responsible for reporting the student to the VA. Failure to attend classes on a regular basis will result in reduction or loss of benefits for the semester.

Students receiving Veterans Benefits who withdraw from the College or reduce academic course loads are required by the Veterans Administration to report such action promptly to the Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office.

All questions and concerns involving Veterans Benefits should be directed to the VA Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office.  

return to top

Military Service Members

Residency Requirements

A military friendly institution limits academic residency requirements for active duty service members to no more than 25 percent of the undergraduate degree program; recognizes all credit course work offered by the institution as applicable in satisfying academic residency requirements; and allows service members to satisfy academic residency requirements with courses taken from the institution at any time during their program of study, specially avoiding any ‘final year’ or ‘final semester’ residency requirement, subject to stated requirements in specific courses such as majors.

Gordon State College limits academic residency to no more than twenty-five percent of the degree requirements for all undergraduate degrees for active-duty service members. Academic residency can be completed at any time while active duty service members are enrolled. Reservists and National Guardsmen on active-duty are covered in the same manner.

To qualify for a Baccalaureate degree at Gordon State College, the student must earn at least 30 semester hours of credit applicable for the degree at Gordon State College. In addition, half of the upper level hours required for the degree must be completed at Gordon State.

To qualify for an Associates of Arts or Science degree, the student must earn at least 16 hours of degree requirements at Gordon State College.

See “Graduation Requirements” for additional details.

Credit Learning From Military Experience

A military friendly institution provides processes to determine credit awards and learning acquired for specialized military training and occupational experience when applicable to a service member’s degree program.

Students will be allowed to connect workplace learning with academics by gaining academic credit for formal courses and examinations taken outside of traditional degree programs. During this audit process, a team of academic faculty evaluators from relevant disciplines will review courses or exams and, if appropriate, make college credit recommendations.

A military friendly institution recognizes and uses the ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services in determining the value of learning acquired in military service, and in awarding credit for appropriate learning acquired in military service. Students must contact the Adult Learning Coordinator to initiate the process of seeking this credit.

return to top